Coast KZN


Unsafe Structures on the Beach

Unsafe structures could refer to illegal or damaged physical structures due to flooding and storm events, erosion, pollution and spills.

Report unsafe structures to the respective Local Municipalities (see District Municipalities/ Metropolitan: King CetshwayoiLembeeThekwiniUgu.

Report to EDTEA for escalation to DFFE.

The power to issue a repair or removal notice may only be delegated to an official in the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment, while the MEC may sub-delegate his or her power to a municipality in that province.

A written repair or removal notice may be issued by the Minister or MEC to any person responsible for the development of a structure in the coastal zone that is having or is likely to have an adverse impact on the coastal environment; or if it has been erected, constructed or upgraded unlawfully, is inappropriately located, abandoned or its construction contravenes the ICM Act or other law.

Who to contact?


Telephone  Email
Alfred Matsheke 033 8979208
Omar Parak  033 897 9216
District EDTEA Offices uMkhanyakude 035 550 0210   
Siphosakhe Xulu
King Cetshwayo
035 780 6700 
Nombulelo Zungu
032 437 7500
Vanessa Maclou
031 328 9300
Sabelo Ngcobo: 
039 688 4941

Hotline for Tip-offs on Contraventions of Environmental Legislation Call: 0800 205 005