Why the Durban harbour project will be horrible blunder
"Last week’s approval of a BRICS New Devel¬opment Bank loan of $200million (R2.5billion) to...
Following the Courier article published yesterday (‘Willard in shambles‘), heavy machinery was hard at work at the Ballito beach from early this morning.
The original plan to reconstruct the access way has been shelved and large sandbags are being put in place to rehabilitate the beach ahead of the surfing competition.
In just two weeks the popular seaside town will play host to one of its flagship events, the 2018 Ballito Pro presented by Billabong.
As The Ballito Pro surf contest gets underway for 10 days from June 22, locals had begun to worry about the appalling state of the beachfront and promenade, including the majority of streetlights along the promenade being out of order.
Ballito Pro event co-ordinator Collette Bundy said they were confident the beach would be ready for the Pro, continuing to provide an excellent venue for the competition, as it has for the past 10 years.
“Work at Willard Beach is proceeding as planned and we are happy with the progress being made.
“We have been working closely with the teams working on the rehabilitation work at Willard Beach and we are still on schedule to have all finalised timeously,” Bundy said.
“We have already started setting up, construction on the Surf and Retail Site commenced on Monday this week as planned – set ups continue alongside the finalisation of the rehabilitation work to a portion of beach in the precinct of the event site.”
Bundy added that preparation and implementation for the Ballito Pro Presented by Billabong was a work in progress that commenced in January earlier this year, she said they had reached their implementation stage and were very happy to say that all was going according to plan.
“We are fortunate to have very dedicated and competent teams working on this event and we aim to host a bumper event for the 50th edition of the Ballito Pro presented by Billabong.”
The event attracted 160 000 beach visitors last year, plus about two million surfing fans worldwide who watched the event live on webcams and social media.