Coast KZN

Back
22 Nov 2016

Bluebottles sting divers at Vetch’s Pier

(Northglen News)

Medics attend to a diver at Vetch’s Pier.

The pair suffered chest pains once they exited the water.

Two divers suffered allergic reactions yesterday after they were stung by Physalia physalis, also known as, bluebottles, at Vetch’s Pier. The pair were a part of a SAPS commercial divers course.

According to SAPS Spokesman, Lt/Col Thulani Zwane, the divers were conducting open water dives at the Durban Ski Boat, near the Vetch’s Reef.

It is believed that the first diver was the course instructor and he suffered a severe allergic reaction to the stings and began experiencing chest pains after exiting the water.

Zwane added that while members of the SAPS Search and Rescue team were attending to the first patient, a second diver also suffered an allergic reaction from being stung, once he got out of the water.

Both men were treated at the scene.

Bluebottle stings can cause severe pain and leave a whip-like red rash on the skin for up to 3 days.

What to do if a blue bottle stings you:

Do not remove the tentacle that is left on your skin with your bare hands

Apply salt water (fresh water will make it worse)

Pour hot water with a pinch of Epsom salts for 15-20 minutes to kill the last part of the venom in the wound

Never use vinegar to treat the sting

Use methlylated spirits but avoid rubbing the skin

 

Online Article