Questions asked about managing MPAs
The Trafalgar MPA will be part of the much larger Protea Banks MPA once it is...
There have also been reports of at least two dogs dying in the Ballito area last week after trying to eat washed-up puffer fish.
Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife said it had received reports from the Ballito area, Salmon Bay, Sheffield and Tinley Manor on the North Coast, Richards Bay in Zululand and Clansthal on the South Coast of puffer fish washing ashore.
It was presumed their death was linked to a rapid change in water temperature.
“Members of the public have been asked to handle these fish with care. They can lead to poisoning of pets if consumed.
“Parents are asked to be vigilant of their children on the beach and ensure that they do not handle any puffer fish.
“Any individual puffer fish encountered are preferably to be buried half a metre below the ground so that dogs don’t dig them back up again.
“Collections or burials are to be done strictly with gloves on, to avoid any contact with the skin.
“Ezemvelo wishes to thank Coastwatch KZN for their assistance with burying the fish found on the beach around Ballito.”
A spokesman for Ezemvelo said yesterday there had been reports that two dogs had died and a third was very sick.