Spatial Planning and Land Use Management Act
Act No. 16 of 2013
To provide a framework for spatial planning and land use management in the Republic; to specify the relationship between the spatial planning and the land use management system and other kinds of planning; to provide for the inclusive, developmental, equitable and efficient spatial planning at the different spheres of government; to provide a framework for the monitoring, coordination and review of the spatial planning and land use management system; to provide a framework for policies, principles, norms and standards for spatial development planning and land use management; to address past spatial and regulatory imbalances; to promote greater consistency and uniformity in the application procedures and decision-making by authorities responsible for land use decisions and development applications; to provide for the establishment, functions and operations of Municipal Planning Tribunals; to provide for the facilitation and enforcement of land use and development measures; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
The purpose of this Act is:
- To-facilitate the capture of spatial information through cooperation among organs of state;
- Promote effective management and maintenance of spatial information;
- Promote the use and sharing of spatial information in support of spatial planning, socio-economic development and related activities;
- Create an environment which facilitates co-ordination and co-operation among all stakeholders regarding access to spatial information;
- Eliminate duplication in the capturing of spatial information;
- Promote universal access to such information;
- Facilitate the protection of the copyright of the state in works relating to spatial information.
“The Act applies to organs of state, which hold spatial information, and to users of spatial information.