Spatial Planning and Land Use Management Act
Act No. 16 of 2013
To provide a framework for spatial planning and land use management in the Republic; to specify the relationship between the spatial planning and the land use management system and other kinds of planning; to provide for the inclusive, developmental, equitable and efficient spatial planning at the different spheres of government; to provide a framework for the monitoring, coordination and review of the spatial planning and land use management system; to provide a framework for policies, principles, norms and standards for spatial development planning and land use management; to address past spatial and regulatory imbalances; to promote greater consistency and uniformity in the application procedures and decision-making by authorities responsible for land use decisions and development applications; to provide for the establishment, functions and operations of Municipal Planning Tribunals; to provide for the facilitation and enforcement of land use and development measures; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
The purpose of this Act is:
- To-facilitate the capture of spatial information through cooperation among organs of state;
- Promote effective management and maintenance of spatial information;
- Promote the use and sharing of spatial information in support of spatial planning, socio-economic development and related activities;
- Create an environment which facilitates co-ordination and co-operation among all stakeholders regarding access to spatial information;
- Eliminate duplication in the capturing of spatial information;
- Promote universal access to such information;
- Facilitate the protection of the copyright of the state in works relating to spatial information.