Spatial Data Infrastructure Act
Act No. 54 of 2003
“ To establish the South African Spatial Data Infrastructure, the Committee for Spatial Information and an electronic metadata catalogue; to provide for the determination of standards and prescriptions with regard to the facilitation of the sharing of spatial information; to provide for the capture and publishing of metadata and the avoidance of duplication of such capture; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
The purpose of this Act is:
- To-facilitate the capture of spatial information through cooperation among organs of state;
- Promote effective management and maintenance of spatial information;
- Promote the use and sharing of spatial information in support of spatial planning, socio-economic development and related activities;
- Create an environment which facilitates co-ordination and co-operation among all stakeholders regarding access to spatial information;
- Eliminate duplication in the capturing of spatial information;
- Promote universal access to such information;
- Facilitate the protection of the copyright of the state in works relating to spatial information.
“The Act applies to organs of state, which hold spatial information, and to users of spatial information.
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
Sections 11 to 18 of the Spatial Data Infrastructure Act, 2003 (Act No. 54 of 2003),("the SDI Act"), requires base data set custodians to provide accurate, relevant and up-to-date spatial information products and services to the State for improved planning and informed decision making. A Policy will guide base data set custodians and pricing of Spatial Information Products and services in meeting the requirements of the provisions of the SDI Act.