KZN Marine Strsnding Network:
The KZN Marine Stranding Network comprises of a team of professionals, from various organisations, that offer their knowledge and resources to assist with marine strandings along the KZN coast.
What to do if you find a marine stranded animal?
In every situation the relevant authorities should be contacted immediately. The authorities require accurate information about the animal for a successful rescue to take place. As a member of the public, you can assist by giving the following information
over the phone:
- Exact location and directions to the location if it is a remote area.
- Photos. A picture can give the authorities vital information about the animals’ health, their location and their body language.
- Injuries to the animal. (Please Note: Reporting dead animals are also necessary as it has important research value)
- Behaviour and condition of animal (alive, dead, injured).
- The time, date and any other relevant information of when the animal was first found.